Virtual Summer School 2021 – Day 2
Thursday 3 and Friday 4 June 2021
Make Botanical Marks… Botanical Printing and Discharge
Tutor: Elisabeth Viguie Culshaw
Online Times: 10am
In this day workshop, Elisabeth Viguie Culshaw will teach you how to create Easy Botanical prints on cellulose fibres that are paper and cloth using a mix of leaves, Botanical dyes and tannins. We will play with sustainable resources that surround us to create printed pieces that could be incorporated in multi- media, sketchbooks, quilts or could be used for embroideries.
In the second part of the workshop we will look how a discharge paste can take away or modify the prints via a Ph shift. We will learn to create the paste and apply it through various mediums to create Botanical layering on our pieces.
A kit of dyes, mordants, ready to use paper and cloth, which will be supplied by the tutor, is included in the cost. You will also need:.
- A small dye pot (at least 15 cms diameter), a steamer (can be food steamer, fish kettle or just a pot with an upside down cup), a spoon to stir, a pair of tongues to get your bundle out of the heat. A plastic bowl or jug to mix your mordant.
- Access to water, a source of heat.
- One wooden dowel 15 cm long will be provided but if you want multi experiment you could gather more.
- Some cling film or recycled plastic, a cover for your table (spare newspaper), some gloves if you have fragile skin.
- Some fresh leaves, some dried onion skin.
- It would be handy to have a screen type thermofax with a design like text or botanical elements to use with the discharge paste.
Full instructions on a web based page including photographs and video links will be released to participants prior to workshops and video replay of the sessions will be available for replay for 30 days.